Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Evolution of Shadows

I read this book for the Seoul Women's Book Club this month, and I ADORE it.

In 1995 a missing photojournalist's former lover, his interpreter, and his mentor travel to Sarajevo to search for any sign of him after the war. The book tells each person's history with him alternating with accounts of their current search. Moving, sexy, gripping, and stunning, I highly recommend this book and will probably read it a second time before the month is out.



"About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him–which I assumed was wildly out of his control–that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me."

A Twilight parody from The Harvard Lampoon. There are a few good laughs, especially toward the beginning, but even at a mere 154 pages, the thing does tend to drag on a bit. It's worth thumbing through at the bookstore but not purchasing.

My favorite quotes:

Edwart "was muscular, like a man who could pin you up against the wall as easily as a poster, yet lean, like a man who would rather cradle you in his arms. He had reddish, blonde-brown hair that was groomed heterosexually. He looked older than the other boys in the room—maybe not as old as God or my father, but certainly a viable replacement. Imagine if you took every woman's idea of a hot guy and averaged it out into one man. This was that man."

"I had recently come into possession of a Thesaurus. You would not believe how many words there are! When I opened that book, I was like, whoa! Word party!"

No comments:

Post a Comment