Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Puddin'

I wanted pancakes for dinner today. I had pancake mix but the directions were all in Korean and the pictures on the package didn't clarify anything either. It's been sitting in my pantry well over a month waiting for me to gather the courage to do something with it. I figured 'what the hell?' and decided to mix some stuff, put it on the stove, and see what happened.

For those of you new to my acquaintance, I don't cook, not because I can't but because I'm not fond of it. Put a recipe in front of me and I'll make it happen, but my knowledge base and cooking repertoire is similar to that of a 9-year-old child: scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, French toast, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and can sauce, etc. So doing things from scratch is, at best, a very bad idea.

I cracked two eggs into my mixing bowl, poured in some milk (maybe a cup and 1/2?), added half a package of pancake mix and started mixing. In the 'wth' spirit of the endeavor, I tossed in a tsp or so of rum extract, some cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and a diced banana.

The end result, though wholly unrelated to a pancake, turned out to be a surprisingly delicious sort of bizarro banana rum bread pudding garnished with more banana slices and, naturally, pancake syrup. I marvel and delight in the result but despair of the possibility I may never be able to recreate this unlikely masterpiece of newbie fu (aka beginner's luck).

In short: I am amazing, sporadically.

No comments:

Post a Comment