Friday, June 10, 2011

American food rocks

I've been home 2 months and put on nearly 10 pounds. I'm not happy with this, nor am I particularly surprised or upset by it. My clothes still fit and I still look fine. Which makes it that much harder to kick my butt back into shape. Also being with family and friends who dine out daily and eat lots of sweets is far too enjoyable.

So where do you find motivation when you just can't feel guilty about food or ashamed of your body?

I've never been able to bring myself to diet; it just makes me angry. So I've resolved to eat more fruit and drink more water—it's a good place to start. And I'm taking advantage of being in SLC, Utah, at an elevation of more than 4,000 ft (compared to 750 ft back home), to take short runs every day just to reap the benefits when I get back home. (Breathing has always been the hardest part of running for me.) :) The weather is freaking fantastic with highs of 70 degrees and clear skies, and the dogs* like to run with me, so it's been fun so far. Painful to breathe, but otherwise fun.

*My folks have 2 dogs, and only one of them likes running. The other accused me of trying to give him a heart attack today. It's not my fault he's a chunky old guy, and he knows the way home and could quit at anytime. I'm just sayin'...

Today I ran 2.3 miles in 30 minutes, purposefully slow just to work on breathing. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment