Monday, March 7, 2011

Dispatches from the Edge review

A good read, though not spectacular. What really struck me was this paragraph in the epilogue about Dia de los Muertos:

Oaxaca, Mexico- Oaxacans believe that the souls of infants come back first, and at their graves there is only sadness. At one child's headstone, I watch an elderly woman relight candles that keep blowing out in the wind. She's all alone. Parents of children tell no stories about their babies. The joy of their birth makes their sudden death that much harder to bear. At older people's graves, however, there is drinking and laughter. Funny tales about moments they shared.

I had never thought about it much, but upon reflection of the funeral services and wakes I've attended, I realize how true this is. It's interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment